A broken toilet is no fun for anyone and broken toilet fill valves are one of the most common broken parts. When the toilet is broken it can be hard to focus on any thing else.
I have been fixing and repairing toilet leaks and other problems for over 25 years and I know how to find the best toilet fill valve for your restroom.
You may be surprised at the number of fill valve systems on the market so I reviewed some of my favorite replacement valve kits available online!
Still trying to figure out the best system for your home and toilet tank? Instead of spending hours comparing specs check out our list below! Our team put together a list of our favorite repair kits to save you time and get your toilet back in working order.
In This Article
- Top 5 Toilet Flush Valves
- Top Pick: Fluidmaster 400AH
- Runner Up: Fluidmaster 400CRP14
- Budget Pick: Champion 4 Toilet Flush Valve
- Most Expensive: TOTO TSU99A.X
- Easy to Install: Korky 528MP
- How to Choose a Toilet Fill Valve
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 7 Toilet Flush Valves
|Top Pick||Fluidmaster 400AH||4.3|
|Runner Up||Fluidmaster 400CRP14||4.2|
|Budget Pick||American Standard Champion||4.4|
Top Pick: Fluidmaster 400AH
- Easy for any homeowner to install
- Adjustable height
- Fixes leaky and broken valves
- Fits 3.5 gallon flush toilets
My personal favorite fill valve is the Fluidmaster 400AH High Performance Toilet Fill Valve. It is very easy to install but does not let that sacrifice power or sound.
The 400AH is one of my go to replacement valves because easy 3 step install and adjustable sizing (fits 10 to 15 inch).
If your valve has not been replaced in the past 10 years this is a great choice due to its PerforMAX technology that provides a faster fill and saves the environment!
The 400AH averages a 70 second tank fill time, perfect for home use!
400AH Valve Installation
Installation is quick and easy
- Adjust the height to fit toilet
- Install by attaching to the side
- Adjust water flow using the PerforMAX refill technology
Runner Up: Fluidmaster 400CRP14
- Universal valve and flapper that fits most toilets
- Use to fix leaky and constantly running toilets
- Improves flush and fill functionality to save water
When I am replacing 2 in flush toilet valves one of my go to models is the Fluidmaster 400CRP14.
This fill valve checks all the marks for me due to its universal fit (takes about 5 minutes) and how it saves water during fills and flushes!
The 400CRP14 has an attached 501 rubber flapper that will fit 2″ valves and the valve adjusts from 9 inches to 14 inches!
When I am working on a job I need parts that will work on any toilet, I can’t waste time running around town looking for the right part which means always carry an extra replacement in my truck!
Leaky flappers and damaged valves can waste water with each flush and cause just enough noise to keep you awake all night.
- Quick to install, even for amateurs
- Fits 2″ flush valve toilets
- Improved performance for fill and flushing
Budget Pick: Champion 4 Toilet Flush Valve
- 7 inch valve with 3.4 inch flush chain
- Standard OEM replacement for:
- Fits any Champion 2 piece toilet
When replacing a Champion 4 toilet valve I usually turn to the American Standard Champion Universal Replacement Flush Valve.
The American Standard quickly became one of my favorite replacements due to the dependability and quick installation.
The American Standard Valve Replacement kit is built to last, even in high traffic restrooms. Valve pumps are one of the most common parts that fail on a toilet and even a minor leak can cost you some extra money on your water bill or make just enough noise to keep you awake all night!
- Fits Champion toilets
- 7″ tube
- 3.4″ chain length
- Standard OEM part
- Weight about 1 pound
Most Expensive: TOTO TSU99A.X
- Top of the line replacement that adjusts to fit all TOTO toilet models
- 7/8 inch connection
- Resets and refills tank
One of the most expensive valves on the market that is still a good buy for your money is the TOTO TSU99A.X. This valve is designed to fit in all TOTO toilets with its adjustable design and keeps things running in tip top shape. The pump comes with a few other things you will need like a refill tube, cone and attachment tools and can be installed in about 10 minutes.
- Adjustable height to fit all TOTO models
Easy to Install: Korky 528MP
- Works in 2 piece and 1 piece toilets
- Adjust from 7.75” to 13.5.” in order to fit most US toilets
- Quiet – almost impossible to hear outside restroom
- Installs in 5 minutes
The Korky 528MP is a easy to install choice that works in most toilet sizes in the US. It adjusts from 7.75″ to 13.5″ and can be installed in a few minutes. This valve can be used to fix slow filling and noisy toilets or toilets that are not filling up all the way after flushing. This valve fits Kohler, American Standard, TOTO, Glacier Bay and Mansfield toilets including old and new HET designs.
- Weighs 8 ounces
- Fits most toilets
- Fixes most common fill and drain problems
- Made in the USA
WDI B3260 Universal Fill Valve
- Adjustable between 8 1/4″ to 12 1/4″ to fit most toilets
- Can be installed in 5 to 10 minutes
- Fits most common supply line sizes
The WDI B3260 is a good one size fits all fill valve. It is one of our top picks for replacing old units that have cracked and toilets that won’t stop running. The valve can be adjusted from 8 1/4″ up to 12 1/4″ to fit larger toilets.
- Weighs 8 ounces
- 5 x 5 x 20 inches
- Fixes constantly running toilet
- One size fits all adjustable fills valve kit
Waxman PlumbCraft Toilet Fill Valve
- Adjustable anti back flow design
- Makes almost no noise
- Regulates flow rate to minimize wasted water
- Top rated water saving toilet repair kit
The Waxman PlumbCraft Toilet is an all in one kit that is a good choice for homeowners looking for a quiet toilet. This valve kit is a replacement for the most common sized US toilets and also prevents back flow with anti siphon technology. Many people are surprised to learn that a simple fill valve can decrease their monthly water bill. By controlling the fill rate this Waxman valve makes sure no excess water is used after flushing.
- All in one fill valve kit
- 2.2 x 7 x 9.3 inches
- Easy to install and replace broken fill valves
- Anti siphon design decreases water bill
- Limited warranty
- Designed to decrease noise and control water fill rate
- Adjustable to fit most toilet sizes
- Fits grey cap color
This Kohler fill valve kit is a good choice as a replacement for most Kohler toilets. It is designed as a replacement for valves that have a grey shank and can be adjusted to fit most size tanks.
- OEM replacement for Kohler fill valves
- 13 x 3.5 x 3 inches
- 8.8 ounces
- Limited warranty
- Fixes leaky and noisy fill valves
Fluidmaster 400a vs 400h
The Fluidmaster 400a and 400h are very similar pumps. The main difference is that the 400h is designed for larger toilet bowls than the 400a.
Fluidmaster 400a vs Pro45
The Fluidmaster 400a and the Pro45 fill valve are similar but have a few differences. The Pro45 is quieter than the 400a but it is not as adjustable so it might not fit your toilet.
Fluidmaster 400a vs Korky 528
Both Fluidmaster and Korky are hgigh quality valves. Fluidmasters are more adjustable but can be slower to fill while the Korky is mechanical resistant and made in the USA.
Korky 528MP vs Korky 528T vs Korky 4010PK
Korky is one of the most popular flush valve manufacturers. The Korky 528MP, 528T and 4010PK are all designed to fit most toilet systems. The main difference is that the 528MP and 528T are only flush valves while the Korky 4010PK is a total repair kit.
How to Choose a Toilet Fill Valve
If your valve recently went out, or sounds like it is about to die you need to find a replacement before nature calls!
When looking for a new fill valve consider the following:
- Valve Size – Make sure your replacement valve fits your toilet
- Noise – No one likes to listen to a running toilet, double check your new valve won’t keep you awake all night
- Cap Color – Check if you need a grey or black cap
- Fill Rate – Fill rate is key to refilling your bowl and having the best valve for your restroom
- Shutoff Height – Different sized toilets require different shutoff heights, make sure you have the right size or you risk a flood
- Installation – Most valves are easy to install and can be installed in 5 to 10 minutes
Frequently Asked Questions
Which toilet fill valve is the best?
There are a number of good toilet fill valves on the market but the think the best is the Fluidmaster 400AH.
What is the best flushing toilet on the market?
The best toilet flushing valve in our opinion is the 400AH.
How do you replace a toilet fill valve?
In order to replace your current fill valve you should turn off the water, remove your current valve then attach your new valve and test it out.
Are all toilet fill valves the same size?
No, not all valves are the same size so it is important to measure and buy the right size.
How much does a toilet fill valve cost?
Toilet valve costs vary based on a number of factors. Cheaper models are around $10 to $20 while others can be more expensive.