A sump alarm can be the difference between a flooded basement and preventing water damage in case your pump system fails, but how can you tell which alarm is best for your pump system? Our team did the hard work and compiled a list of the best sump pump alarms – and which pumps they work with!
Keep reading to learn more about the top alarms for your home. Our expert reviews will help you pick and install the perfect alarm without calling an expensive plumber! We even put together an in-depth buyer guide to help you choose the right alarm for your home – and ensure it links with your pump!
Our Favorite Models of 2023
- Zoeller 10-4011 High Water Alarm
- HS-700 HomeSitter Alarm System
- Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System
- Basement Watchdog
- Beacon PROACT 200
- MySpool Water Detector
Top 6 Sump Pump Alarms
|Top Pick||Zoeller A-Pak Indoor Alarm System||4.5|
|Runner Up||HS-700 HomeSitter||4|
|Best Combo Alarm||Superior Pump 92060||4.2|
|Best Mold Alarm||Basement Watchdog Alarm||4.2|
|Best Outdoor Alarm||Sump Alarm Warning System||4.1|
|Most Basic Alarm||MySpool Water Detector||4.3|
1) Top Pick: Zoeller A-Pak Indoor Alarm System
- 82 decibel alarm
- Designed to work with Zoeller pumps
- Perfect for large houses
Zoeller is famous for their sump pumps, but they also make alarms you can count on, like our favorite – the Zoeller A-Pak Indoor Alarm System! This sump pump alarm can be plugged into the wall or hardwired to your pump with a terminal block. The alarm is loud enough for indoor and outdoor usage, so you know when your pump is failing and water is rising!
We recommend installing this alarm with any Zoeller pump so you know immediately when a pump is not working. Zoeller products rarely fail but experience motor problems and other problems like power outages that can keep them from working.
- Best sump alarm on the market
- Loud enough to be heard in be houses and deep basements
- Connections for pump and float switch
- No WIFI functionality for high water level
2) Runner Up: HS-700 HomeSitter FreezeAlarm Alarm System
- Monitors temperature, water level and power
- Loud alarm plus phone notification system
- Perfect for travelers
Sometimes, you need to monitor more than just the water level in your pump pit. The HS-700 FreezeAlarm System from HomeSitter watches for extreme temperatures, power outages, and high water levels. We recommend this water alarm for families often out of the house or rental properties with leaky pipes!
- Notify 3 people in case of emergencies with phone notifications
- Get notified of power and temperature problems – not just water level
- Easy to install and configure
- Phone notification requires phone line
- Can’t monitor hot and cold at the same time
3) Best Combo Alarm: Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System
- Super loud 87 db alarm that can be heard across the house
- Easy to install in about 30 minutes
- Comes with sump pump and backup battery (with alarm)
Have you got a large house and worried about hearing the alarm go off in your basement? Then, we recommend the Superior Pump 92060. This pump system is the perfect choice with its 87 dB alarm plus chirping battery backup alarm. The pump can lift water 25′ in the air and pass solids up to 2″ in size!
Unlike other choices on this list, this model is a pump and alarm system in one!
- Sump pump with built in alarm & backup
- Can’t miss high water alarm sound
- Works on sump with a float switch and sewer pumps
- Not designed for outdoor use
4) Best Mold Alarm: Glentronics BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
- Alerts you to basement leaks before they become a larger problem – as little as 1/32″ of water!
- Detects mold and mildew growth
- Runs for 5 years on one 9V battery
This Glentronics Basement Watchdog sensor system is perfect for deep, damp basements where mold and mildew growth are problematic. The system is powered by a single 9-volt battery that can last up to 5 years – not to mention the 6-foot wire for deep pits and crawl spaces.
- Extra long wire for hard to reach basins and sump pit
- Alerts you to any water leak or mold growth
- Prevents major property damage with 3 day alarm and monitoring system
- Some reports of alarm not working during floods
5) Best Outdoor Alarm: Sump Alarm Warning System
- Durable Construction
- Polypropylene Float Switch
- Wide Temperature Range
The sump alarm water sensor is a crucial tool for protecting your home from water damage. It provides peace of mind by keeping track of water levels and instantly warning you of increasing water in a basement, septic tank, or other crucial locations. This alarm can endure very high temperatures and severe weather thanks to its rugged design, which includes an IP67-rated housing and a polypropylene float switch for speedy detection.
The LED light and 90 dB loud alarm provide clear, prompt notifications so you can respond quickly to stop expensive damage. It’s a flexible and reliable alternative for preventing flooding because it comes with various cord lengths and options for power warning lights.
- Effective Water Monitoring
- Versatile Applications
- Quick Detection
- Visual and Audible Alerts
- Multiple Cord Lengths
- Power Indicator Option
- Dependence on Wi-Fi
- May Require Professional Installation
- No Battery Backup
6) Most Basic: MySpool Water Detector
- Connects to home WIFI to send email, text and push alerts
- Reasonably priced with no subscription cost
- Works anywhere in the house
The MySpool system might be one of the more basic alarm systems on the market, but it can detect leaks and send mobile alerts just as well as pumps twice its size. The sensor pad and power connection can be installed up to 400 feet from your WIFI unit. The water detector works by setting up the detection pad near the top of the pit. The water will touch the place when the basin fills up and send an alert.
- Sends email and text alerts
- Check pump status online using MySpool website
- 2′ Sensor wire allows for installation almost anywhere
- Occasional false alarms if not calibrated correctly
Sump Pump Alarm Buying Guide
Having trouble deciding which alarm is right for your basement? Here are a few factors that we always review before recommending an alarm.
1. WIFI Connectivity
Newer alarms can connect to your wireless network and send you alerts over the internet when a flood is detected. Not all models have WIFI functionality so make sure to double check that you will be able to connect!
This feature is great for homeowners that are often away from home or for landlords that need to get alerts right away when a property is flooding. By connecting to the internet the alarm is able to call your phone when it detects a problem or flooding.
2. Noise Level
Got a deep basement or an exterior cellar? Then you will need a super loud alarm if you want to catch a flood in time! Some audible alarms are much louder than others – with the loudest around 90 dB and others being a little louder than a phone call. Make sure you choose an alarm that is loud enough to hear anywhere in your home.
3. On-board Battery
Most alarms are powered by a cord running to a wall socket but some also have battery backups. If you live in an area with heavy storms, lots of trees that fall on power lines or are installing the alarm in a vacation home we recommend picking a battery powered system with an alarm.
4. Multi Use Functionality
Some alarms we reviewed serve multiple purposes. Zoeller, Superior Pump and others make sump pumps with built in alarms and other functionality like mold detection.
Who Needs An Alarm System?
An alarm system might seem like an unnecessary expense to add to your pump but it can be the difference between stopping a basement flood before it happens and having thousands of dollars in water damage.
We recommend everyone install at least an audible alarm in the basement. If you travel regularly or are a landlord renting a house it is a good idea to use an alarm the links to WIFI so you can be alerted right away on your phone.
FreezeAlarm Homesitter HS-700 Review